IPB WARNING [2] implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed (Line: 44 of /sources/action_public/D2mods/MVTT/_mvtt.php)
IPB WARNING [2] implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed (Line: 51 of /sources/action_public/D2mods/MVTT/_mvtt.php)
LIGHTHOUSES - OurHFM

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Radio Status
The Radio Is Currently Offline If you would like to view the radio schedules click HERE

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LIGHTHOUSES
lakshmi
post Oct 24 2007, 08:16 PM
Post #1

OurHFMite
Group Icon

Group: OurHFMite
Member No.: 1,569

My family thinks I am crazy for wanting to see all the lighthouses in the world. I am so fascinated by the lighthouses. They are built in different shapes, colors and sizes. I have driven many miles to see some old lighthouses which are not operating.

The first one I am going to share with you is in Tybee Island, Georgia. We had planned a trip to Savannah, Georgia. This small island is off of Savannah. I dragged my family saying that Tybee island is beautiful so that I could see this one lighthouse. Except for this beautiful lighthouse, the small island has nothing to offer. It was a feast to me but disappointment to my family. I am giving the history taken from the net. The picture was taken by me. I am the photographer in my family.

Lakshmi

The Lighthouse History

Ordered by General James Oglethorpe, Governor of the 13th colony, in 1732, the Tybee Island Light Station has been guiding mariners safe entrance into the Savannah River for over 270 years. The Tybee Island Light Station is one of America's most intact having all of its historic support buildings on its five-acre site. Rebuilt several times the current lightstation displays its 1916 day mark with 178 stairs and a First Order Fresnel lens (nine feet tall).

Under the watchful eye of Light Station Keeper Cullen Chambers and his staff, The Tybee Island Light Station stands as one of North America's most beautifully renovated Light Stations. A must see for everyone.

(IMG:http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3817/a597re2fe7.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aayinah
post Oct 25 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: New Member
Member No.: 1,002

I am crazy about lighthouses too. When I was a kid I dreamt I would make my home in one, but I am much wiser now. (IMG:style_emoticons/OurHFMEmot/tongue.gif)

S. India has some beautiful old lighthouses, I've been up on the outer parapet of a few ( it was so windy I thought I would be blown away, but it was a great feeling ) in Goa and Tangassery in Kerala.

You should visit them while you can, some of these old lighthouses are falling apart and therefore visitors are not allowed up the stairs for their own safety.
+Quote Post
lakshmi
post Oct 25 2007, 01:01 AM
Post #3

OurHFMite
Group Icon

Aayinah,

Thanks for your post. Last time when I was in India, I did go to Mahabalipuram and saw a lighthouse. I think it cost a lot of money to maintain these lighthouses. Some years back when I was in California, I wanted to visit a light house off San Francisco. The road was closed for winter. I will definitely make it a point to visit coastal cities in India just to see the lighthouses.

Lakshmi
+Quote Post
Praveen Jaiswal
post Oct 26 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1,101

Lakshmiji ,
aap mujhe bigaad doge !! (IMG:style_emoticons/OurHFMEmot/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
lakshmi
post Oct 28 2007, 05:55 PM
Post #5

OurHFMite
Group Icon

Everytime I visit New Jersey, I want to see a lighthouse on the shoreside. One day I decided to drive by myself to Cape May which is at the tip of the state. On my way back home in New Jersey, I took a detour to visit this fantastic lighthouse. Ieven climbed 176 steps(I think) to the top.All photos uploaded are taken by me.

Here is the description from the net.

Barnegat Light, the second tallest lighthouse in the United States, was commissioned January 1, 1859. The tower light was 165 feet above sea level. It remained a first-class navigational light until August 1927, when the "Barnegat Lightship" was anchored 8 miles off the coast. The tower's light was reduced over 80 per cent, but it was not extinguished until January 1944.
The lightship was removed in 1965, made obsolete by electronic navigation.
In 1988, the lighthouse was closed for repair; re-opening for visitors in 1991, Although its light no longer functions, the tower is flood-lit at night and continues to attract thousands of visitors every summer

(IMG:http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/2600/6631re2ig0.jpg)
+Quote Post
simplefable
post Oct 28 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #6

OurHFMite
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,933

Lakshmi..though i always used to see the light house standing on the marina beach at chennai..never stopped to see it or climb to the top of it...but It was exhilarating when we climbed to the top of Cape point.. where the atlantic and Indian oceans meet...Next time, i will make it a point to visit the light house at chennai. I appreciate the way they are maintained in US. they know how to promote tourism...Now, if i have to go to the top of light house at chennai, i may need someone's recommendation.. (IMG:style_emoticons/OurHFMEmot/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
lakshmi
post Oct 28 2007, 09:36 PM
Post #7

OurHFMite
Group Icon

Simplefable,

Beautiful photos. Where exactly is this lighthouse? I haven't seen many lighthouses. I have a big list of them. Hope, other members will also post their photos of lighthouses. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Lakshmi
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Members That Have Viewed This Topic Today ()

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st February 2020 - 09:34 PM