IPB WARNING [2] implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed (Line: 44 of /sources/action_public/D2mods/MVTT/_mvtt.php)
IPB WARNING [2] implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed (Line: 51 of /sources/action_public/D2mods/MVTT/_mvtt.php)
Do You Remember?????? - OurHFM

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Radio Status
The Radio Is Currently Offline If you would like to view the radio schedules click HERE

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do You Remember??????, Them........................
JS
post Aug 28 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 63

Was casually browsing thru the Youtube site when I suddenly bumped into this video of Phil Collins who was one of my all time favourite.Immediately went back to my golden days..............felt very nostalgic.......those days in the late 80s when we were just getting introduced to Western Music and I still remember what an effect Phil Collins had after the release of Another Day In Paradise.It was a regular video played almost every hour on MTV and that song itself made turned me to a huge huge PC fan.

Here is another of his all time greats.................Do U remember

Am sure guys.............while watching the video u all wld start remembering ur Golden days and share ur favourites here.........from that era.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Praveen Jaiswal
post Aug 28 2007, 09:53 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,101

Aaahaaaa!!!
I remember in my 10th grade i had been fascinated by some of the Western Songs . One song i always humm is Unchained MElody - Righteous Brothers . I really fall short of words to express my feelings when i hear this song .

+Quote Post
dhamaka
post Aug 28 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 55

Click on the play button below to listen to my favourite Phil Collins number -

+Quote Post
indydave
post Aug 29 2007, 09:24 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 250

QUOTE(JS @ Aug 28 2007, 07:26 AM) *

Was casually browsing thru the Youtube site when I suddenly bumped into this video of Phil Collins who was one of my all time favourite.Immediately went back to my golden days..............felt very nostalgic.......those days in the late 80s when we were just getting introduced to Western Music and I still remember what an effect Phil Collins had after the release of Another Day In Paradise.It was a regular video played almost every hour on MTV and that song itself made turned me to a huge huge PC fan.

Very nice thread, JS - I liked a lot of Phil Collins' songs back from the days when he was still a part of 'Genesis' too - he was the big guy in the band, for when he broke off, the rest of the band simply disintegrated :)

I really like the ones you have mentioned, and then there was another one I enjoy listening to, called - Sussudio - there was a rumor that the name of this song came from some band member of music manager type who stuttered on the word 'studio,' and this song title sort of evolved from that :P

Indydave
+Quote Post
indydave
post Aug 29 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(Praveen @ Aug 28 2007, 11:23 AM) *

Aaahaaaa!!!
I remember in my 10th grade i had been fascinated by some of the Western Songs . One song i always humm is Unchained MElody - Righteous Brothers . I really fall short of words to express my feelings when i hear this song .

I love this song too - this was one of two of major hits by the Righteous Brothers, the other one being the eminently popular 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling'

Both these songs have been covered by a multitude of artistes (including even Elvis!), and I am sort of sheepish to say that my favorite version of this song is not the original one, but the really smooth flowing version done by Air Supply - have you guys heard that version? :)

Indydave
+Quote Post
dnjham
post Aug 29 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 188

REALLY WHAT MEMORIES U PEOPLE HAVE BOUGHT BACK

IN FACT I WAS VERY VERY VERY MUCH ACTIVE IN THE 80'S POP SCENE. IN FACT HAVE STARTED LISTENING TO MUSIC FROM THE 80's BRITPOP & AMERICAN TOP 40's HITS WHEN THERE WAS THIS VERY POPULAR RJ WAS THERE ,I THINK HIS NAME WAS K C KAYSON.CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG

HAVE U EVER LISTENED TO PHIL COLLIN's " MAMA " WHEN HE WAS IN GENESIS
AMAZING SONG & WHAT A BLACK & WHITE VIDEO IT HAD.

EVEN MIKE RUTHERFORD WHEN HE LEFT THE GROUP TO FORM HI S OWN GROUP - MIKE & THE MECHANICS HAS GIVEN 80'S BIGGEST HITS SUCH AS SILENT RUNNING & THE LIVING YEARS

REALLY PHIL COLLINS & GENESIS............AMAZING STUFF IN THE 80'S

RGDS
DIPAK

WISH I COULD UPLOAD THESE SONGS ..............................BUT KYA KAREN NOT ALLOWED
SPECIALLY MAMA...... & LIVING YEARS
+Quote Post
lakshmi
post Aug 29 2007, 09:21 PM
Post #7

OurHFMite
Group Icon

Group: OurHFMite
Member No.: 1,569

My favorite group is The Beatles. My favorite song is seasons in the sun by Terry Jacks. The song was done in 1974 and rose to number 1 in US. I even had the cassette for a long time. The same song was done before by the Fortunes and some other group. Listen to the song and let me know how you like it.

some of my favorite songs

Billy don't be a hero(voted as the worst song)
My name is michael by terry nicholson
I can see clearly by JohnnyNash
sound of silence by simon and garfunkel
sunday by daniel boone
puff the magic dragon by peter paul and mary
killing me softly by roberta flack
hot child in the city by nick gilder
my life by billy joel

The list will go onand on....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx-TCx-EzQI
+Quote Post
dnjham
post Aug 29 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE(lakshmi @ Aug 29 2007, 07:51 PM) *

My favorite group is The Beatles. My favorite song is seasons in the sun by Terry Jacks. The song was done in 1974 and rose to number 1 in US. I even had the cassette for a long time. The same song was done before by the Fortunes and some other group. Listen to the song and let me know how you like it.

sunday by daniel boone
my life by billy joel

LAKSHMI JI
WOW .WHAT A CHOICE U HAVE
THIS WAS MUCH MUCH BEFORE MY TIME

RGDS
DIPAK
ANYWAY DO U HAVE THE SONG " KILLING ME SOFTLY " BY ROBERTA FLACK
+Quote Post
lakshmi
post Aug 30 2007, 02:47 AM
Post #9

OurHFMite
Group Icon

I made a mistake. My name is michael is not the righ title and the singer's name starts with clint. My other favorite song is by Lynn Anderson .Thesong is I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden.
+Quote Post
indydave
post Aug 30 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE(lakshmi @ Aug 29 2007, 10:51 AM) *

sunday by daniel boone
my life by billy joel

Arre waah, Lakshmi, what a super-duper choice of songs - an eclectic collection you have mentioned here - I love it!

The Beatles also happen to be my most favorite English music group (especially John Lennon - I am always in supreme awe of him!).

I love 'Seasons In The Sun' - Terri Jacks made a big hit out of hit in the 1970s, and then Westlife brought it back to life in the 90s - I don't like remakes, but I must say that they did a pretty good job of it ... we had joy, we had fun ... we had seasons in the sun ... :)

Yeah, I also read once that Bo Donaldson's 'Billy, Don't Be A Hero' was voted the worst song, which I never really understood, since there are so many crappier songs always doing the rounds ... :P

Hmm, although Roberta Flack won a Grammy with her version of 'Killing Me Softly,' my pet version has always been the one by Perry Como - have you heard that version of his? :)

Oh, man, all the other artistes you have mentioned - I have favorite songs by all of them ... great topic! And Lynn Anderson - I love her voice too - I love the old country-song woman's voices like her and Loretta Lynn, and Patsy Cline, and Petula Clark - good stuff :)

Indydave
+Quote Post
dnjham
post Aug 30 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Hmm, although Roberta Flack won a Grammy with her version of 'Killing Me Softly,' my pet version has always been the one by Perry Como - have you heard that version of his? :)

BY THE WAY INDY HAVE U HEARD ONE MORE VERSION OF THE SAME SONG BY THE FUGEES - "KILLING ME SOFTLY" EVEN ITS PRETTY GOOD , RELEASED I THINK SOMEWHERE IN 1996.

RGDS
DIPAK
+Quote Post
Praveen Jaiswal
post Aug 30 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,101

I have the LP of Killing Me Softly . Beautiful Gatefold cover cut in the shape of Piano that Roberta Flack is playing .

and What a songgg !!! I never heard other songs from the album , i used to get stuck over this song .
+Quote Post
dnjham
post Aug 30 2007, 01:31 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

GUYS
REGD ROBERTA FLACK , I HAVE ONE MORE AMAZING 80'S DUET SONG WITH PEABO BRYSON CALLED
" TONIGHT I CELEBRATE MY LOVE FOR YOU "
WHAT A GREAT BALLAD

RGDS
DIPAK
+Quote Post
lakshmi
post Aug 30 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #14

OurHFMite
Group Icon

QUOTE(indydave @ Aug 30 2007, 09:31 AM) *

Arre waah, Lakshmi, what a super-duper choice of songs - an eclectic collection you have mentioned here - I love it!

The Beatles also happen to be my most favorite English music group (especially John Lennon - I am always in supreme awe of him!).

I love 'Seasons In The Sun' - Terri Jacks made a big hit out of hit in the 1970s, and then Westlife brought it back to life in the 90s - I don't like remakes, but I must say that they did a pretty good job of it ... we had joy, we had fun ... we had seasons in the sun ... :)

Yeah, I also read once that Bo Donaldson's 'Billy, Don't Be A Hero' was voted the worst song, which I never really understood, since there are so many crappier songs always doing the rounds ... :P

Oh, man, all the other artistes you have mentioned - I have favorite songs by all of them ... great topic! And Lynn Anderson - I love her voice too - I love the old country-song woman's voices like her and Loretta Lynn, and Patsy Cline, and Petula Clark - good stuff :)

Indydave

Hi Indy,

Born in a pretty conservative Brahmin family, we were not allowed to listen to western pop or rock. Our grandfather was always made sure that we spend our time in studies and not in worthless music(according to him, western music and film music would distort our thinking). My first exposure to western music was in 1965 when I was 16. Without telling anyone, my friend and I wentto a music store and grabbed a few 45rpms of the beatles. After that we added cliff richard's bachelor boy and summer holiday. Except for rap music, I enjoy all kinds of western music.

Next list of myfavorite songs
1. I loveher - The Beatles
2. lucy in theskywithdiamonds - thebeatles
3. clair - gilbert o sullivan
4. walk like an egyptian - the bangles
5. we'd like teach the world to sing in perfectharmony - the new seekers
6. house of bamboo - earl grant
7. baby elephant walk - hatari
8.shiny happy people - rem
9. rain drops keep falling on my head - butch cassidy and the sundancekid
10. love will keep us together - captain and tennille

What are your favorite songs Dipak and Dave?

I just remembered the song that I had forgotten yesterday. It is PLAYGROUND ONMY MIND by CLINT HOMES[color=#333333]
+Quote Post
indydave
post Aug 31 2007, 04:13 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE(dnjham @ Aug 29 2007, 11:58 PM) *

BY THE WAY INDY HAVE U HEARD ONE MORE VERSION OF THE SAME SONG BY THE FUGEES - "KILLING ME SOFTLY" EVEN ITS PRETTY GOOD , RELEASED I THINK SOMEWHERE IN 1996.

RGDS
DIPAK

I have indeed listened to the version of the Fugees, and I was not very impressed - the way they did the arrangements and added a lot of the background stuff, totally cut away from the sweetness of the song - they did that to cater to the new generation ... for me Perry Como (and Roberta Flack's version is also very sweet) did the supreme stuff with his Hemant like voice - that's what I refer to him as ... the English Hemant :D

Indydave
+Quote Post
indydave
post Aug 31 2007, 04:20 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE(lakshmi @ Aug 30 2007, 12:30 PM) *

Hi Indy,

Born in a pretty conservative Brahmin family, we were not allowed to listen to western pop or rock. Our grandfather was always made sure that we spend our time in studies and not in worthless music(according to him, western music and film music would distort our thinking). My first exposure to western music was in 1965 when I was 16. Without telling anyone, my friend and I wentto a music store and grabbed a few 45rpms of the beatles. After that we added cliff richard's bachelor boy and summer holiday. Except for rap music, I enjoy all kinds of western music.

Next list of myfavorite songs
1. I loveher - The Beatles
2. lucy in theskywithdiamonds - thebeatles
3. clair - gilbert o sullivan
4. walk like an egyptian - the bangles
5. we'd like teach the world to sing in perfectharmony - the new seekers
6. house of bamboo - earl grant
7. baby elephant walk - hatari
8.shiny happy people - rem
9. rain drops keep falling on my head - butch cassidy and the sundancekid
10. love will keep us together - captain and tennille

What are your favorite songs Dipak and Dave?

I just remembered the song that I had forgotten yesterday. It is PLAYGROUND ONMY MIND by CLINT HOMES[color=#333333]

You have named many more of my favorite songs - I tend to specialize mostly in English songs from the 40s to the early 80s ... concentrating more on the 60s and 70s ... great time it was for most forms of English music ... Cliff Richard's perennial favorites ... what a voice he had back in the day - and he did turn out ot be a Bachelor Boy :) Who would have thought that possible back then?

Okay, some of the songs I love listening to ...

1. Perry Como - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Around The Old Oak Tree
2. Nat King Cole - Mona Lisa
3. Engelbert Humperdinck - Am I That Easy To Forget
4. Jerry Vale - You Can Never Give Me Back My Heart
5. Jim Reeves - A Fool Such As I
6. Elvis Presley - Crying In The Chapel
7. Tom Jones - Delilah
8. Beatles - Strawberry Fields
9. Frank Ifield - I Remember You
10. Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

I tried to name as many different artistes as I could, but there are many many more - too many to put into one list ... let this discussion continue :)

Indydave

PS: Thankfully, my parents were always hugely liberal with the music I listened to - my mom knows a lot about English music, and my dad a lot about Bengali ... I listened to Kishore, and started my researches in the Kishorian and Hindi realms, along with English and Bengali ... and now, I also listen to a lot of Turkish, Russian, Chinese, Italian, French, Greek, Spanish, and .... you name it!
+Quote Post
Keanu_77
post Aug 31 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #17

OurHFMites
Group Icon

Member No.: 522

QUOTE(indydave @ Aug 31 2007, 04:20 AM) *

You have named many more of my favorite songs - I tend to specialize mostly in English songs from the 40s to the early 80s ... concentrating more on the 60s and 70s ... great time it was for most forms of English music ... Cliff Richard's perennial favorites ... what a voice he had back in the day - and he did turn out ot be a Bachelor Boy :) Who would have thought that possible back then?

Okay, some of the songs I love listening to ...
1. Perry Como - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Around The Old Oak Tree
2. Nat King Cole - Mona Lisa
3. Engelbert Humperdinck - Am I That Easy To Forget
4. Jerry Vale - You Can Never Give Me Back My Heart
5. Jim Reeves - A Fool Such As I
6. Elvis Presley - Crying In The Chapel
7. Tom Jones - Delilah
8. Beatles - Strawberry Fields
9. Frank Ifield - I Remember You
10. Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

I tried to name as many different artistes as I could, but there are many many more - too many to put into one list ... let this discussion continue :)

Indydave

PS: Thankfully, my parents were always hugely liberal with the music I listened to - my mom knows a lot about English music, and my dad a lot about Bengali ... I listened to Kishore, and started my researches in the Kishorian and Hindi realms, along with English and Bengali ... and now, I also listen to a lot of Turkish, Russian, Chinese, Italian, French, Greek, Spanish, and .... you name it!

At the outset, I have very limited knowledge on western pop music. I bumped into this thread purely becoz of 'Do you remember'; which is very close to my heart. What a song, with what lyrics!!
My parents were very much fond of of Indian classicals, Ghazals and other forms of Indian music, but no western, so it took time to grow on me. I am now slowly building up on this... hope will get a good understanding someday

K
+Quote Post
lakshmi
post Aug 31 2007, 08:33 PM
Post #18

OurHFMite
Group Icon

QUOTE(Keanu_77 @ Aug 31 2007, 11:42 AM) *

At the outset, I have very limited knowledge on western pop music. I bumped into this thread purely becoz of 'Do you remember'; which is very close to my heart. What a song, with what lyrics!!
My parents were very much fond of of Indian classicals, Ghazals and other forms of Indian music, but no western, so it took time to grow on me. I am now slowly building up on this... hope will get a good understanding someday

K

It was our father who gave us the taste of western classical music when we were teenagers. He had bought many LPs of Mozart symphonies when he came to US. I still listen to symphony no 40. Salil chaudharycopied the tune for a songin chhaya movie (itna na mujhse song.).

Dave, I see you are interested in Guitar. I like classical guitar. I have attended concerts by Pepe Romero and Chris Parkening. My sons got me interested in guitar. Have you heard Andres Segovia.? What about John Williams? Love the pieces they play.

I like all the rock music from 60s and 70s. Have you ever heard the songs bynew kids in the block? Initially , they were good. Theyalso faded into oblivion. What about paper roses by Marie Osmond and you light up my life by Debby Boone?

Lakshmi
+Quote Post
indydave
post Sep 1 2007, 02:43 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Yes, I love classical music, and among the famous composers, I have always had a soft corner for Mozart, Bach and Liszt, but I love all the others too, for the most part :)

I am indeed interested in the guitar, and I like different genres - I like the Spanish, Hawaiian, regular acoustic, and also the virtuosic exhibitions given by such stalwarts as Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and John Petrucci. Great geniuses. I also really enjoy Eric Clapton's style of playing - they don't call him 'slow hand' for nothing ... he's one of the fastest players of guitar in popular music - I once saw some videos of his performing some complex tunes, and there were points where his fingers would literally be a blur over the strings :)

On a personal level, I like playing the acoustic guitar a bit, but its main purpose (for me) is that it serves as a nice accompaniment (and back up) to my vocals, and also helps me out a lot when I am writing new tunes (I also use the keyboards for this sometimes).

Yeah, New Kids On The Block didn't really go all that far in their music career and they sort of fizzled out - I remember one of their last major hits came out around the time that the first 'Free Willy' movie came out. I've definitely heard Paper Roses, and Debby Boone, the daughter of famous crooner Pat Boone, got a dream start to her career, with 'You Light Up My Life' (hers was a haunting rendition, although Perry Como did a nice job with this song too), but she never really maintained the momentum generated by this first hit, and she also faded into oblivion.

Have you guys heard this song by Harry Belafonte - Scarlet Ribbons? What a magnificent, touching rendition - it can bring tears to your eyes. Jim Reeves also has a good version of this song,

Indydave

Scarlet Ribbons

CODE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uWgwe1sW0I8
+Quote Post
lakshmi
post Nov 26 2007, 04:36 AM
Post #20

OurHFMite
Group Icon

Hey guys,

Simplefable sent me a song called Child. It is a beautiful song by Freddie Aguilar. Istrongly recommend youguys to listen to it. Very touching. The other song is Feliz Navidad - a christmas song.

Lakshmi
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Members That Have Viewed This Topic Today ()

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 09:21 AM